[Hidden-tech] Comcast problems?

Jonathan Dill jfdill at jfdill.com
Tue Oct 3 21:09:20 EDT 2006

If you have an internet domain and your domain provider has decent
e-mail services, you are MUCH better off using their e-mail servers
directly if that is possible.  To be honest I think it is a BAD idea to
forward your e-mail to Comcast, AOL, Verizon (and several other similar
providers) because they do not handle forwarded e-mail correctly, they
like to "shoot the messenger" so to speak, they will blame the service
that is merely forwarding your e-mail instead of looking at where the
e-mail actually originated.

If you must use your Comcast e-mail account for some reason, see if the
service that forwards your e-mail can "quarantine" spam so that it
doesn't get forwarded to Comcast, but you will have to periodically
check the quarantine.  Or you could try to find a good third-party
e-mail provider that doesn't have silly practices for filtering spam.
If you have a web site, you may already be entitled to a number of
e-mail accounts that go with that service, that may be worth looking
into as well.

Personally, I use Dreamhost because I have web hosting with them, and
have amped up their SpamAssassin filtering with some rules of my own--I
much prefer to go ahead and receive the spam and let Thunderbird sort it
out based on the SpamAssassin tags.  The downside is that Dreamhost is
in California, so every once in awhile I have connectivity problems, you
may well find something better that is local.  I don't have any direct
experience with Crocker, but Matthew Crocker sounds like a very
competent guy, so I would expect their services to be good without any
silly blocking practices.

Jonathan