[Hidden-tech] Installation problem from Linux server

Gyepi SAM gyepi-hidden-tec at praxis-sw.com
Wed May 3 21:48:26 EDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 04:17:52PM -0400, Jeremy Wise wrote:
> If I place the installation CD in the drive on the networked computer [XP]
> there is no problem.
>
> However if I copy the contexts of the CD into a folder on the server which
> is N: on the networked machine and then run the installation from there
> InstallShield reports that it cannot locate some of the installation files.
> It will give a message like:
>
>  N:\Install Dir\\Program Files\.....\.Filename .xxx
>
> The same problem occurs when I mount the CD on the server and access the
> installation via the server's CD drive.
>
> Is it possible that Linux is maxing out on some of the paths? Windows I
> believe has a 256 character limit but what about Linux?

Hi Jeremy,

You didn't specify, but I'm guessing that you're using samba on the Linux
side. If so, you may want to set the "mangled names" configuration option
to "no". If you don't have any old Windows clients with 8.3 name restrictions
you can make this a global configuration, otherwise you can either set it on a
per share level or create a special config file for the old clients to
override the global setting.

If that doesn't do it, you may want to increase the log level and check the
logs to see what filename the client is requesting.
It may also be a case preservation issue...

Most of the common Linux file systems have a maximum file name length of 255 bytes.

-Gyepi