[Hidden-tech] Installation problem from Linux server

David Mertz, Ph.D. mertz at gnosis.cx
Wed May 3 21:38:09 EDT 2006

> The same problem occurs when I mount the CD on the server and
> access the installation via the server’s CD drive. Is it possible
> that Linux is maxing out on some of the paths? Windows I believe
> has a 256 character limit but what about Linux?
Short answer: "No".

Medium answer: The length of allowed paths is not an *OS* feature,
but a filesystem feature.

Semi-long answer:

	Max filename   Allowed chars             Maximum path len
FAT12   255 bytes      Any Unicode except NUL    No limit defined
FAT16   255 bytes      Any Unicode except NUL    No limit defined
FAT32   255 bytes      Any Unicode except NUL    No limit defined
NTFS    255 chars      Any Unicode except NUL    32,767 Unicode
characters
ext2    255 bytes      Any byte except NUL       No limit defined
ext3    255 bytes      Any byte except NUL       No limit defined
Reiser 4032 bytes      Any byte except NUL       No limit defined

Still more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system_comparison