[Hidden-tech] Thanks to those who boosted our energy meeting

A - Z International az at a-zinternational.com
Wed Feb 8 12:19:12 EST 2006

Hi all,

For the many who couldn't make last night's extremely helpful, informative
meeting on energy efficiency and conservation, I wanted to pass along
thanks to those who made it happen. There were about 30 folks there thanks,
in part, to great press coverage from the Greenfield Recorder. Thanks to
Maggie Haigis and Claudia Gere for pulling that out. I understand there's a
story on page 9 of today's Recorder about the session, which I have yet to see.

And thanks to Nancy Bair, workforce development director at Greenfield
Community College, for providing space and food. This is the third
collaboration between Hidden-Tech and GCC thanks to Nancy's tremendous hard
work and dedication. We owe her a lot! Ann Hamilton, president of the
Franklin County Chamber of Commerce, also deserves thanks for PR and
ongoing support.

What came out of bringing experts on electricity conservation/efficiency
(together with representatives of solar energy and alternative fuels was
the ability to see an array of things all of us can do to save energy and
consequently lower our costs. Everyone agreed that no matter what approach
you take, start with energy conservation and purchasing energy-efficient
appliances.Just replacing light bulbs, for example, can save about 30
percent of your electric bill and putting in a front loading washing
machine saves on water and electricity.

The solar equation is a bit trickier for those who don't have the
investment capital or want to get out a loan, but for those in new
construction folks at WMECO told me today it makes tremendous sense. Just
learning about passive solar and how to retrofit your home and office to
take advantage of sunshine can cut costs. And we all learned loads about
alternative fuels, particularly biodiesel, which will may soon be available
through COop Power in Greenfield and Northeast Biodiesel, also in
Greenfield. It made me want to go out and buy a flex-fuel car immediately.

If you want to reach any of the presenters, see the details on the website
at www.hidden-tech.net. We always post our meeting information. Or you can
find me directly and I'll connect you.

best,

Amy Zuckerman