[Hidden-tech] Thanks to those who boosted our energy meeting

Matt Lampiasi mattl at florenceit.net
Thu Feb 9 19:58:26 EST 2006

A - Z International wrote:
> The solar equation is a bit trickier for those who don't have the
> investment capital or want to get out a loan, but for those in new
> construction folks at WMECO told me today it makes tremendous sense. Just
This is great info, I'm sorry I couldn't attend! I happen to have a
little knowledge in this area so I hope this is helpful:

Renewable energy rebate incentives vary from state to state, MA
currently has grant monies that are distributed by the Massachusetts
Technology Collaborative (which must have been mentioned at the
meeting?). The small renewables initiative
<http://www.mtpc.org/renewableenergy/small_renewables.htm> is what we
recently took advantage of  (with something like $3.50 per watt rebates
last yr -about 40% rebate total, after certain conditions were met).
I've heard they estimate that the rebate amount will continue to
decline, so the sooner the better if you're thinking of it for your
home/home office in MA. I know they have other initiatives for business
but don't know the details or program names.In MA there is also a 20
year deferment of  real estate taxes (property value increases, taxes
don't), a state tax CREDIT, and the new federal tax credits. I
understand states like NJ and CA have far far better rebate initiatives
that truly do bring payback down to a reasonable short number of years.
But some states are far worse, with no rebates or net metering
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_metering> at all. Also, you can sell
your "green tags", which essentially means you sell each kilowatt you
generate, even if you use what you create so it's a double savings. To
make the MOST financial sense and for maximum rebates and incentives,
grid tie is the way to go -  but a small offgrid starter system can be
done cheaper and built gradually. Home Power
<http://www.homepower.com/>magazine is available at Forbes Library or
online, and covers detailed specs if thats the kind of thing you're
interested in (DIY). If your interests are of a financial savings
nature, about the only thing that makes sense in MA is if your property
is off the grid, as often renewable energy installations ARE cheaper
than extending the grid to your home.

Renewable energy is not my field, so I'm not expert on all initiatives
available - except for what we took advantage of. Your solar installer
should be able to give all the details, and theres a few in the area.
--

Thanks,

Matt Lampiasi, President
413-303-9167 or http://florenceit.net