[Hidden-tech] Retainer Fees?

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Thu Feb 2 11:26:50 EST 2006

>I am working with a new client that has lots of ongoing design work
>for me and I am trying to accurately balance what I expect to get in
>work from them with taking on new projects. Ideally I would like to
>work out a retainer fee so I know to set aside x-hours per month for
>them. Then I don't have to worry about taking on too much or too
>little additional work.
>
>How are retainer fee's usually structured? Are they based straight
>off your hourly fee or do they tend to be discounted? Does anyone
>have a sample retainer contract they could send me. Also if we agree
>to x hours and then the work comes in at less then that, it seems to
>me that is their loss as I have already reserved that time for them
>(and not taken on other jobs), but is this how it is actually done?
>They were asking about hours rolling over into the next month etc.

I typically take a chunk from the client in the form of a good-sized
check, work it off at my usual hourly rate, and when I'm close to
using it up, let them know and they send more. Not a true retainer
relationship, but it works for me. In some cases, where there's trust
built up, I bill at the end of the month and receive a check.

Of course, most of mine is simply paid at the end of each project or
group of projects by a credit card, and I collect the cc info before
I start.

I've been thinking about some continuity programs where I charge
their credit card every month until they turn it off, for some kind
of subscription-based product--but I'm a long way from actually
implementing that.
Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/800-683-WORD shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.principledprofit.com/25000influencers.html>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www.frugalmarketing.com
Ethics Blog:  http://principledprofit.blogspot.com/