[Hidden-tech] Retainer Fees?

Anne Campbell annebcampbell at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 15:41:34 EST 2006

Shel Horowitz wrote:
> I typically take a chunk from the client in the form of a
> good-sized check, work it off at my usual hourly rate, and
> when I'm close to using it up, let them know and they send
> more. Not a true retainer relationship, but it works for me.
> In some cases, where there's trust built up, I bill at the
> end of the month and receive a check.

Shel, when you have new clients, do they ever balk at paying in advance? I'm
sure you wouldn't "take the money and run," but do your clients worry about
that and require some kind of guarantee?

I usually ask for a deposit up front and then the balance at the end of the
project, but I'm interested in other ideas.

-Anne

Anne Campbell, annebcampbell at yahoo.com
http://www.annecampbelldesign.com/
http://www.annecampbelldoula.com/