[Hidden-tech] Retainer Fees?

Edbride-PR Ed at edbride-pr.com
Thu Feb 2 09:38:08 EST 2006

I generally ask for a 6-month commitment (preferring a year), and do a best estimate for total project work; then, I divide the anticipated effort by the number of months in the contract, multiply by the daily or hourly rate, and that's the monthly retainer. Clients understand that some months will be busier than others, but we both seem to appreciate the predictable cashflow.

In my business, PR consulting, most gigs have a lot of up-front work, and then taper off. So, the client is head of the game initially; after the product rollout, or whatever the project is, we go to a "maintenance" phase, the ongoing process of prospecting for editorial calendar opportunities.

Hope this helps,
Ed