[Hidden-tech] Music downloads

Baer Tierkel elvis at sweetmojo.com
Sun Dec 31 17:12:54 EST 2006

Hi David

I find that illicit businesses tend to thrive when there is demand for the
product and there is ambiguity as to whether the business is “morally wrong”
– regardless of the government’s imposition of a law.

Certainly there is demand for electronic copies of music – and until
recently there was no legal place to even purchase and electronic song from
a major distribution catalog.  And as evidenced by the HT thread, there is
ambiguity as to the morality of copying music.

I think examples of people disregarding laws that fit this model abound!
How much pot is smoked?  How much beer consumed by 20 year-olds?  How many
miles driven at 75mph in a 55 zone on the interstate?  How many CDs burned?
In each one of these cases many Americans would make the argument that there
is demand for the product and the business is morally defensible.

In my view, governments, no matter what the form, will never be perfect in
enacting just laws.  And hopefully, a free people will always be able to use
their pocketbook to work around these laws (the capitalists’ vote).
Interestingly enough, over time, these ineffective laws are many times
overturned specifically because the consumer has voted so overwhelmingly
with their hard earned dollars.  Examples of this are prohibition being
repealed in 1933, the speed limit was raised in the 90s by Clinton, etc.

I’m very hopeful that in the case of popular music (whose distribution model
really, really sucks for the artist), technology will continue to be an
enabler – enabling bands and songwriters to self-publish without the
shackles imposed by the old-line distribution model.  I tend to find great
music on the web, bands who put a taste of their music out there on their
own websites with a couple of songs and then I buy more if I like them.
Also great services like Pandora (www.pandora.com <http://www.pandora.com/>
) where you can turn on to new music based on your tastes.

Regards,

Baer

p.s. An interesting note to someone’s post in this thread: yes disruptive
innovations do move industries forward, but there is great pain that is
suffered by businesses and the people who work in them.  The sheet music
industry was decimated over years by the record industry; the movie theatre
business was decimated by the VCR/DVD; and the CD business is being
decimated by mp3/wma/etc.  And yes, Sony and Universal will survive as they
finally adapt to the new innovations brought to market by the visionaries.
But the people who work in th sheet music printing company or the folks that
work at the corner movie theater will be losing their jobs.  As it should
be, society as a whole needs to move forward with innovation.  But we must
have compassion for those who are impacted by innovation.  I think one of
the roles of government is to help ease these transitions by retraining our
workforce (or at least incenting business to retrain).  It might be easy for
a twenty-something to find a new job, but no so for the fifty-something lady
that works on the CD disc assembly line that will be laid off as CD/DVDs
become passé in favor of electronic distribution.  There are thousands of
examples like this in our current economy.  Long live innovation!  Long live
compassion!