[Hidden-tech] What to charge for emergency support ?

Jim Ussailis ussailis at equinox.shaysnet.com
Tue May 3 20:55:12 EDT 2005

There is a big error in what I read. My father did something like this
back in the 40s and 50s. He repaired industrial oil burners, and was
"on-call" several nights / week. Often in mid winter I remember him going
to some greenhouse and keeping the whole thing alive until parts could be
procured in the AM.

For being "on-call" he got paid. That pay did not include any hourly,
transport, extra rate for night / weekend, etc. It was just $$ for being
there. His phone was also paid for, but phone service was expensive then
relative to other things.

I didn't see any "on-call" renumeration in your proposal. It should be.
Relative to now, my father would have gotten around $150/wk. Yes, there
were many weeks when he didn't do anything for the oil burner co, but
still got "on-call" $$.

Jim Ussailis

jim at nationalwireless.com