[Hidden-tech] What to charge for emergency support ?

Florence I.T. florenceit at comcast.net
Tue May 3 21:03:33 EDT 2005

Edbride-PR wrote:

>Charge for wearing beeper? I don't think so, anymore than you'd charge for
>keeping a cellphone nearby. You're charging for your time, the beeper just
>makes it easier for the client to find you.

This approach is fine if you don't put too much weight on IF you can
respond. I offer similiar currently (No guaranteed off hours support,
but if you catch me and I come in, it's 150% normal rates). And that's
not higher only because I value the good relationships I have with
existing clients. Expecting a highly skilled professional to respond to
you immediately 24 hours a day is a LOT to ask, and should be expensive
that's all I can say. We did this for a client a few years ago, I forget
what the charge was but I was essentially in the same boat, it ended up
being a good bit. It was also different work: network support. The
bottom line sounds similiar in some ways: are they losing money if the
system is down? How much per hour? (how many employees are left standing
around, how many orders not fullfilled, etc etc.. )
Dell charges about $400 a pc for the year for same day response. that's
just a pc. I'm sorry I can't give you actual numbers but I felt
compelled to urge you to charge well for yourself if you provide a
valuable, skilled and reliable service (unlike the hire a tech some
large corporation sends out on one of their warranties).
at the very very least charge well over your standard rate for work
performed off hours.I think of it as being the employee, how often will
you get an employee to be oncall 24/7 for no extra compensation? i
wouldn't feel right sticking that on an employee without some good
compensation. Just my 2 cents, good luck I'm sure others will have
feedback.

--
Thanks,

Matt Lampiasi