[Hidden-tech] Three topics...

Sheldon F. Finlay sheldon at jagfly.com
Tue Mar 8 17:55:55 EST 2005

Hello David,

Merchant Accounts...

I've been using ECHO, Inc. (http://www.echo-inc.com) for the last 5
years. They are both affordable and flexible and supposedly have one of
the lowest discount rates in the industry.

I am not sure if they still have this policy, but when I was 1st
starting out they would waiver the usual monthly fees if I did not
process any cards in a given month. This was especially beneficial to my
strained cash flow during the startup period of my business.

ECHO negotiates the lowest rates with Visa and MasterCard by strictly
adhering to the Visa/MC rules. For that reason, they are very
comprehensive in their application process requiring you to provide them
with copies of your ordering and refund policies and potentially making
changes to these policies to satisfy the regulations set by Visa/MC. But
in the long run the extra hassle pays off.

ECHO offers a virtual (online) terminal combined with a gateway for
integrating into a web site. They also have a very strong developer
network (http://www.openecho.com/) including OpenSource code for
integrating ECHO into PHP, ASP, JSP, and other programming technologies.

I have worked with clients that used Authorize.net and the Authorize.net
setup is very similar (virtual terminal and web site gateway). But
Authorize.net rates tend to be higher and they don't include the
developer tools as ECHO. Also, Authorize.net, being one of the larger
online merchant company is often a target for hackers.

I hope this helps. I don't have any suggestions for #2 and #3. But I'm
sure someone out there does.

Best Regards,

Sheldon F. Finlay
Outer Limits Media, Inc.