[Hidden-tech] Setting up a web forum--request for advice

Sheldon F. Finlay sheldon at jagfly.com
Tue Jan 4 15:09:37 EST 2005

Hello Shel,

I have installed/setup/moderated many forums using a variety of forum
softwares. Among my favorites are: PHPbb (www.phpbb.com), Phorum
(www.phorum.org), Invision Board (www.invisionboard.com), vBulletin
(www.vbulletin.com). I tend to lean strongly towards PHPbb. It is
non-commercial software and has a very large community of developers
whom contribute mods and addons which are useful for adding additional
features to a forum.

* What features are essential *

 - forum priveleges. You want to be able to control who posts to your
forum. Most forums can be configured so only registered users can post
messages which is ideal.  Any visitor can read posts, but if they decide
to post they must create an account. This is helpful to prevent people
from spamming your forum and gives you the ability to moderate any users
who might be abusing your forum.

- Search Features. Allow visitors to search the archives.

- User profiles and signatures. If you want your forum to establish a
sense of community it is nice to allow members to create profiles
(location, interest, web site, etc.).

- Security. Forums are often subseptible to security exploits. In fact,
PHPbb recently had a pretty major security flaw which cause many forums
to be defaced (and worse). There is still a worm floating around the
Internet attempting to infect insecure installations of PHPbb. So it is
important to keep your forum software up to date.

- Privacy. Most forum software will allow you to hide the email address
of members in order to prevent spammers from harvesting email addresses
from your forum. Fortunately, most software will still allow people to
send email and private messages to each other via the forum without ever
making the email address of the members known.

- Auto-notification of new posts or replies. A member can subscribe to a
forum or a particular thread and be emailed anytime a new post is made.
It's a good way to keep the discussion moving.

* How moderated to they have to be *

Forum privledges, as mentioned above, are the 1st line of defense in forum moderation. As the forum owner you will have administrative priveledges which means you can browse through your forum and easily move posts, lock posts, and delete posts. You can also ban troublesome users (although they can always come back using a different email address). If you have users on your forum whom you trust you can upgrade them to moderator status and have them assist in the moderation of the forum.

* Anything else you think might be useful

Probably the hardest part of a forum is establishing the community. It is very difficult to get the forum to a point where it reaches a critial mass of users and posts. In the beginning you'll have to spend a lot of time answering every post promptly and keeping the dialog going. But if you keep at it, eventually the forum will become it own entity and a thriving community will florish.

I hope this is helpful.

Good Luck!

Sheldon F. Finlay
Outer Limits Media, Inc.