[Hidden-tech] GoNetSpeed vs Xfinity/Comcast?

Rich@tnr rich at tnrglobal.com
Sun Aug 18 15:44:28 UTC 2024

going on 2nd month using our local GCet service - a Greenfield only
service - however look into a municipal service if one is available.
For reference, I stuck to Comcast/Xfinity for years because I wasn't
comfortable with the local alternatives.
Also we used to use some of the special channels more that lately -- see
below about using Tivo/Plex.

One of our staff was in Colrain then Ashfield a few years ago, and found
various satellite options worked sorta, the delay limited some uses.

However in answering your 2nd question - I have been looking at TV services:
     we rarely watch much TV any more so PBS and Prime does it pretty
much for us.

SO This is not a short term answer, however I've been running a PLEX
server recording tv shows for years so I've got many seasons I've never
watched.
And TiVo before that - so lots of shows and movies on a local NAS server
- the TiVo recording require conversion which is not a big deal,
I can detail if anyone interested - or even swap videos.

Also, I found there are a few current shows we watch (like CBS Sunday
morning) and, after years of Tivo, I hate commercials,
SO I found using obsproject and showing the show on regular streaming
(CBS News in this case) I can record the show
and watch it delayed on Plex which runs on the NAS server.

Hey after all this is a Tech group.

Also, I wrote this when GCet came out and will be updating it:
https://www.greenfieldsfuture.org/2018/03/gcet-and-tv-alternatives/

Be interested in anyone's stories about the issue

Rich

--
Rich Roth
CEO TnR Global