[Hidden-tech] OSX Disk Mounting Question

Ted Trobaugh ftrobaugh at gmail.com
Tue May 24 22:02:52 UTC 2022

Hey All,

I am using OSX 10.11.6.

My boot drive (OSXBoot) used to be 1TB. Last year, or the year before, I
upgraded to a 3TB drive.  In the last couple of weeks, I have started
getting two OSXBoot mounts on my desktop -- one is 1TB and the other is 3TB.

A listing of /Volumes/ shows
MacPro:Volumes DolceMusic$ ls -ls
total 104
 0 drwxrwxr-x+ 58 DolceMusic  admin   2040 May 21 21:50 Data1
 8 lrwxr-xr-x   1 root        admin      1 May 21 21:08 OSXBoot -> /
 0 drwxr-xr-x  53 root        wheel   1870 Apr  7 10:29 OSXBoot 1
32 drwxrwxrwx   1 DolceMusic  staff  16384 May  9 11:16 RouterDrive
32 drwx------   1 DolceMusic  staff  16384 Apr 29 12:59 Shared
32 drwx------   1 DolceMusic  staff  16384 May 23 09:01 tedimac

It looks as though OSXBoot is a hardlink and OSXBoot 1 is my boot drive.
Can I delete the hardlink from my /Volumes folder?  How do I find out what
it is linking to?

Where did this come from? I hear you ask.  I don't know for certain, but I
suspect it came from when I was looking for duplicate files with Disk
Drill, and I turned on the option to create a hardlink when deleting a file.

If I am asking in the wrong place, I apologize for an unintended breach of
etiquette.

Thanks,
Ted
--