[Hidden-tech] OSX Time Machine and messed up dates

Ted Trobaugh ftrobaugh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 17:20:32 UTC 2021

This is an old issue from August 2020 that I never got around to
addressing; now I am.

My problem: I used to use Time Machine with my mac (I haven’t since this
problem arose, but I’m still backed in several ways, so no worries
there.).  My last regular TM update was on July 19, 2020.  On July 19, 2020
I rolled back the system date to July 19, 2017 (long story) and forgot to
turn off TM.  Now TM reports that the OLDEST backup is July 1, 2019, but
the MOST RECENT backup is July 19, 2017.

I had TM turned off between July 19 and Aug 2, and when I turned it back on
on August 2, 2020, Time Machine ran ALOT, and I wondered if it was erasing
all the backups prior to 2017, i.e. if it was erasing ALL my old backups.
So I turned it off again.

Was Time Machine erasing all my old backups?

Is there a way to fix this?  Do I need to?

I am comfortable using Terminal.  Can I delete or redate the Alias named
“Latest?”

I look forward to any help I can get. Thanks.

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]

--
Ted Trobaugh