[Hidden-tech] Alternative to SiteGround?

Sam McClellan sam at itabix.com
Wed Mar 24 22:36:34 UTC 2021

One thing that's not being discussed specifically so far is managed
WordPress hosting. WordPress is a complex script running a lot of
complex scripts (plugins) and is susceptible to malware so it needs
needs to be updated at least every few months and it needs fast, secure
hosting which is set up specifically for WordPress to perform well and
be secure. This can include:

  * A faster webserver than regular Apache, such as LiteSpeed or nginx,
    that is "tuned" for best WordPress performance.
  * Fast SSD drives rather than regular hard drives.
  * Server-level caching and the ability to easily add your site to a
    content delivery network (CDN) for increased speed and to lower your
    server load.
  * DDoS protection which keeps a network attack from bringing down your
    site.
  * Daily offsite backups.
  * Regular malware scans.
  * Free SSL certificates.

There are two tiers of managed WordPress hosting.

One is regular shared hosting that is optimized for WordPress, of which
SiteGround, FastComet, Bluehost, GoDaddy and others are examples.
Usually they are normal web hosting companies that offer specific plans
for WordPress.

Then there are so called VIP companies that are more in the range of an
IT team for your site and, of course, cost more than normal hosting.
These include WP Engine, Kinsta, Flywheel, and us (Itabix) that go above
just hosting and essentially partner with you to make sure your website
is live and optimized. They typically include a staging site, assist in
site setup and security hardening, and will usually migrate your site
from another hosting provider at no charge, and generally take over the
tasks of managing a WordPress website to a lesser or greater degree.

One way to tell the difference is if you run into problems. The regular
hosts will offer advice and fix issues with their service and may or may
not pull a backup if you get into trouble, but they won't step in and
work on your WordPress site if it has issues - you are responsible for
it. If you get hacked, they will typically give you a deadline to get it
fixed or they will shut you off. If it breaks, beyond restoring a backup
you are on your own.

A VIP hosting company should step in and help you get your site up and
running again. They will handle updates to your site, and fix it if
something goes wrong. They are WordPress experts that you can call on if
you have a problem or a question.

As far as updating your site, our experience is that WordPress updates
fail about 1 in every 40 times - obviously more complex sites with lots
of plugins fail more often. They are also more likely to fail if it's
been a long time since the last update. A VIP hosting company takes
measures to avoid that - either the ability to quickly pull a backup if
it fails and/or by testing updates on a staging site first.

We recommend staging site updates to anyone managing their own WP
installation. You make a copy of the site and update there first, then
if it tests well you update the main site. If you're hosted by a company
using cPanel, it includes the ability to clone your site to a staging
site, otherwise there are plugins like Duplicator that will make it
relatively easy to make a copy of your site. Typically you install it in
a subdirectory like www.yoursite.com/wp-staging, we prefer to create a
subdomain that points to a directory outside of the main site's
directory so that it's completely separate and isn't vulnerable to
hacking if the main site is hacked.

I'd welcome any additions or other opinions.

Sam

*Sam McClellan*

**

*Itabix, Inc*

**

*one place for all things **web***

**

*sam at itabix.com*

**

*https://itabix.com*

**

*Main - 413.587.4600*

**

*Toll-free - 877-7ITABIX (877.748.2249) *