[Hidden-tech] WordPress login issues

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Jul 20 18:30:56 UTC 2021

At Tue, 20 Jul 2021 12:14:49 -0400 Julie Waggoner <jwaggoner at micablue.com> wrote:

> I have a client who is - suddenly, within the past two weeks while I was on
> vacation -- unable to log into WordPress from one specific computer
> (unfortunately, the computer that they do most of their work on).
>
> They can log in from their laptop, and from other computers within the
> organization, but not their own computer.
>

> This is not my area of expertise, so I'm doing a bunch of research in order
> to help them (so far I've updated plugins and installed several patches on
> the back end, checked the allowed list, and am about to deactivate plugins
> to see if one of them is causing a problem - next up, deactivating the
> theme)..
> .but if anyone has ideas or immediately knows what the issue might be, I'm
> all ears!

So they are sure that the have the correct password(s).  Somewhat obvious
since you are able to login to do things like update plugins, etc. and they
can log in from other computers.

There are two possiblities:

There is some borked with cookies on the misbehaving computer.

They have a security plugin that is blocking IP addresses (eg too many failed
logins) and the misbehaving computer's IP is on the block list.

If the former, you can clear the cache and dump the cookies.

Also, is the misbehaving computer storing the WP password?  Is it storing the
wrong password?  Also (have to ask, even it it is obviously stupid): caps
lock?

Since the problem seems to be specific to one computer, the problem is most
likely there (and not on the server or anything server-side, including WP or
any plugins or the theme).

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364