[Hidden-tech] large screen for watching movies on Netflix?

Richard "Casey" Danek rcdanek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 12:23:57 UTC 2020

In my first reply to this thread, I explained how I used a large screen
TV as my monitor. I did this to demonstrate that everything you wanted
to be done could be, more or less. However, you had stipulated that you
didn't want a box anywhere, so I avoided making this suggestion; I'll do
it now.

Depending on if your laptop has an HDMI output, you can connect it to
the HDMI of your TV. Set up your laptop so that it either mirrors onto
the TV or extends your desktop. I think mirroring would be preferred.
You can then see whatever your laptop sees on the TV.

For convenience, you can get a wireless keyboard and mouse and control
the laptop from you couch/chair. (It's how I do it but I use a PC
instead of a laptop.)

Make sure you set up your laptop so that it doesn't go to sleep when you
close the lid and you can then close it and you'll see your desktop on
your TV without a laptop screen distraction.

Now, you can run Netflix and Hulu and many of the other streaming
services. I actually have set up an inexpensive Chromebook to do this on
another TV monitor elsewhere in m home...remote keyboard/mouse and all.

So, you don't need a separate streaming device like a Roku. You control
things through your keyboard. You don't have to Chromecast anything.

As long as you have a fairly modern laptop, you'll have no trouble with
the playback. I have a 10+ year old Mac Mini with an older, slower
processor and I don't like the playback through it. My cheap newer
Chromebook outperforms it for video.