[Hidden-tech] * * * Need to transfer files from Professional Write to Microsoft Word * * *

Deborah Chandler debchandler411 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 16:59:48 UTC 2020

Hi folks,

A colleague needs some files transferred. Here’s what he says:

*“The 3 1/2 in floppy disks have data from all my Speeches and
Reports. They were written on an IBM computer of 80's and 90's vintage
where data storage on the Hard Drive was different.  I have not been able
to read the disks, my computer telling me they are corrupt.  This is not
so.  They are written in Professional Write and need be converted into
Microsoft Word.”*

He also has the original install (floppy) disks for Professional Write as
well as an external floppy disk drive with USB connection.

Does someone have the equipment/software needed to do such a transfer, or
do you have leads to someone who could? I did a quick online search to find
FileMerlin can do such a transfer from Professional Write to MS Word, (See
http://www.file-convert.com/flmn.htm) but I don’t know yet whether one
would still need an older computer in order to even open the original
files. (and anyone who has known me for a while, knows I am a Mac user and
not so tech savvy; so I am the liaison here, just wanting to help a friend
in need.)

The floppies are currently in the Boston area; depending on where help is
offered, I can facilitate the delivery within a reasonable driving
distance.

Thanks in advance,

Deb