[Hidden-tech] A few external drive questions

Adam Bauer adam at dharmaboutique.com
Sat Jun 13 14:57:46 UTC 2020

Hello fellow HT’ers,
I have three questions, and while I know these are occasionally covered here, I am asking them from my current perch because a) I’ve been digging through my HT email archives and can’t find relevant recent responses, and b) I know things and technology changes, so I am trying to stay current.

1) I’m having issues with my Apple Time Capsule no longer doing auto-backups (and being too small now, in any case), so I need to find a preferred external drive (4TB or larger) to set up for wireless, automatic Time Machine backups. What are people loving for Mac-happy 4-8+ TB external drives these days that can be set up for wireless data transfer?

2) As far as Cloud-based auto-backup services—for a single computer, less than 10-20 TB—is Carbonite still a (or the) fave?

3) A local vendor who will take the 2 dozen old external drives I have (with various inputs and outputs) and consolidate ALL the info onto one new drive, and help me find a good way to trade-in the old ones and/or donate them to a good cause?

I know I was in contact (via this list) in recent 2-4 years with a well-recommended someone re: #3, but regrettably cannot for the life of me find that email thread!

Many thanks, and hoping all are staying safe in these weird times.

Adam

Adam Bauer

Customized sourcing & trips to India and beyond

Pre-buy my new album here: https://bit.ly/ReturntotheSacred