[Hidden-tech] Windows 7 End of Support: January 14th

Larry Kuttner lkuttner at nesea.org
Thu Jan 16 18:03:52 UTC 2020

Yes, I would also caution against in-place upgrades, especially if your
computer is over six years old.  You might find that required Windows 10
drivers are not available.
If you do choose to upgrade, always create a system image, not just a
backup, from which you can if necessary restore your whole system.
My preferred upgrade process is to install a new disk drive and keep the old
one as a back-up.  It'd good opportunity to get a larger drive, and they do
wear out over time.
Install Windows 10 on the new drive, then install all your applications and
copy files, shortcuts, and bookmarks that you've saved on a CD or USB.
This takes a while but is worth it.  You avoid carrying over old detritus
from your previous install, avoid conflicts, and possibly improve the speed.

-----
Larry Kuttner
Information Technology Manager
Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA)
20 Federal Street, Greenfield, MA 01301
 <mailto:413.774.6051> 413.774.6051 ext. 12 .  <mailto:lkuttner at nesea.org>
lkuttner at nesea.org .  <http://www.nesea.org/> www.nesea.org

Join me at  <http://nesea.org/be20> BuildingEnergy Boston 2020 on Monday &