[Hidden-tech] Wiki Pages

Paul Bissex paul at bissex.net
Tue Apr 28 16:02:02 UTC 2020

Yes, the bad news about creating Wikipedia pages is that if you don't
follow the guidelines,  your submission is indeed likely to get flagged
for removal.

The good news is, the guidelines are public and very thoroughly described.

Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Your_first_article

The key thing (from the top of that page): "*the topic should be notable
and be covered in detail in good references from independent sources*".
I.e. if there aren't online news stories, print references, or other
reputable content about the subject, it probably isn't something that
should be in an encyclopedia. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia.

I helped a former employer through this process, when their first stab
at a self-promotional (bad idea) Wikipedia page was immediately flagged
as "non-notable". And I've helped a couple friends establish entries.
The constraints do feel tedious and fussy -- but understand that all
this structure is there to keep the site useful and trustworthy.

Good luck! It's a grind, but satisfying in the end.

On 4/28/20 10:07 AM, Dédé Wilson via Hidden-discuss wrote:
> Anyone have experience creating WIKI pages that “work”. It looks easy enough and yet I have read that WIKI will remove pages that they deem not “good enough”. So I am looking for someone to create a page for me. Any input appreciated
>
> Dédé Wilson

Paul Bissex, software engineer
http://paulbissex.com/
Greenfield MA 01301 USA