[Hidden-tech] Computer for kids - how to convert

Sam McClellan sam at itabix.com
Wed Apr 15 14:27:30 UTC 2020

Hey Rich,

You probably know a fair amount about Chromium vs Chrome OS by now, but
I've included all the info here for general consumption.

Chrome OS is Chromium OS redesigned for Google's Chromebooks but is also
available for PCs. Chrome OS is designed for end users, whereas Chromium
OS is designed for developers/geeks and requires more knowledge and
maintenance and has less functionality targeted to kids and regular users.
https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromium-os-faq

Chrome OS is a good choice for kids for five reasons -

1. designed to be simple to set up and maintain
2. has very good parental controls, whereas a standard Linux
installation like Ubuntu can always be subverted
3. doesn't allow them free access to programs and the Internet.
4. set up to be used by schools and kids
5. can now also run many Android apps

The downsides:
1. It's very reliant on an Internet connection and can't run Linux or
Windows apps (although the alternatives can run Linux apps)
2. If you don't have an actual Chromebook, there are some limitations
although the alternatives can make up for these.
3. you have to be part of The Google to use it.

You can download ChromeOS for regular PC's here:
https://sites.google.com/site/chromeoslinux/download which just links to
http://getchrome.eu/download.php
but the first link at least shows you it's actually a Google download.

However, most reviews say that Neverware's version of Chrome OS is the best:
https://www.neverware.com/freedownload#intro-text

Here's a good recent review:
https://www.electromaker.io/blog/article/flint-os-vs-chromium-os-vs-cloudready-which-chrome-os-is-best

Other options for kids: