[Hidden-tech] Corrupted data

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Aug 23 19:03:32 UTC 2019

At Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:55:18 -0400 anita.lockesmith at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I'm moving QB 2019 desktop from old computer to new computer. Was having
> issues getting data to 'stick' (I'm totally not tech savvy). Contacted QB
> for tech support. They got data onto new computer but a number of error
> messages came up. Now they are telling me 83% of data is corrupted, at 85%
> it is irreparable. They quoted me a price of 689.95 for 60 day support and
> 1085.00 for 12 mo support??? During my hysterical conversation with them
> they dropped price twice and told me I have til end of day to decide...
> They have said this cannot be fixed by 'local' tech.
> What do you think?

This is an *insane* ripoff.  Question: by QB you mean "QuickBooks", right?
And by contacting QB for tech support you mean Intuit?  If this is indeed
Intuit, it appears that Intuit has entered the ransomware business (actually,
Intuit has been the "ransomware business" for some time).

Is the old computer still functional?  Is the data "sane" on the old computer?

If QB 2019 desktop is still working properly on the old computer, it might be
possible to exprt the data to some other format, that in turn can be imported
into GnuCash.  GnuCash is *free*, and has *free* support and gets you out from
under Intuit's ransomware (aka QuickBooks).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933