[Hidden-tech] Experian Hack

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Fri Sep 15 11:49:21 EDT 2017

Someone applied for my Social Security benefits. Because the mailing address and email were
different than what's on my account, SSA sent me a paper letter. I called them and had it referred
to their fraud unit. You should sign up for your online Social Security account, put a good password
on it, and require a second level of security. You can also lock online access to your Social
Security by calling them. You will then have to go in to a physical office in person to do anything
with SSA.

The latest SANS @RISK Security Alert had a link to this article about the Equifax hack in the New
York Times - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/business/equifax.html, which has some decent
information.

Also, if you Google "equifax site:krebsonsecurity.com", there are blog posts by Brian Krebs about
freezing your credit (a 2015 post) and aspects of how to deal with the hack fallout (a few posts
from 2017). There is also some pretty good background on the credit bureaus. There are notes on what
the typical credit watch services do and do not provide and what else you might have to watch out
for. Still a lot of sifting and reading. Krebs has posted on aspects of Equfax, security, and
credit, many times over the last couple of years. One totally freaky thing was the discovery that
the Argentine office of Equifax had an online administrative interface that was accessible with the
username Admin and the password Admin! Total incompetence! They took it completely offline when
Krebs called them on it.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
    O__  ---- Systems Administrator
   c/ /'_ --- Biology & Geosciences Departments
  (*) \(*) -- 315 Morrill Science Center

<hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu>

Erdös 4