[Hidden-tech] Help me rewrite an old Programming / Web Development Curriculum? CMS, Language, Frameworks

Bram Moreinis moreinis at pathfindertech.org
Mon Sep 11 10:50:47 EDT 2017

Hi, Noah.
> To clarify:  Is this one class, or a sequence of classes?  If a
> sequence, how many courses?bIf it is only one class, you may too
> ambitious.
It's a vocational school - so we meet five days a week, the whole day,
every other week for an entire year. Such luxury! Plenty of time.

The course is called "Programming and Web Development" so I need both
front- and back-end.  But the coding does not have to be web coding ...
I could do front end (Javascript) and Wordpress, and then use Python or
Java for coding.

But still may be too ambitious -- these are not college students, and
many are not committed to becoming programmers.
> My main thought: remove as much friction and ceremony as possible, and
> get them publishing things and having fun quickly.
I agree with you.  But ALSO - given how much time we have - get those
who want them marketable skills.
> Focusing on front end development might give the students the most
> bang for their buck.  The landscape of CSS / HTML / JS is overwhelming
> enough.  (You might not remember how confusing it was to get relative
> links to work for the first time).
They have been learning CSS & HTML for two years - they know that pretty
well already.  When I get them, they have to progress from static
Dreamweaver HTML sites to data-driven sites with server applications.
BUT - they don't need to learn php to know Wordpress - just enough to
edit templates.
> I recommend finding a simple and disposable deployment strategy.
> Something like https://surge.sh/   Advanced students could move on to
> exploring javascript view frameworks, connecting to hosted database
> solutions like firebase, or using local file storage.
I will look into that! Thank you.
> If your curriculum spans several courses, and you are committed to
> addressing the full stack then *option 4* makes the most sense to me.
> Python has been heralded as a great introductory language, with many
> applications.
Thank you.  That affirms Jeff's feedback. Looking forward to hearing
others, 'specially Paul.

-Bram

--

Martin Bram Moreinis, Designer/Developer
http://myinstructionaldesigns.com

--
*This email is intended for educational use only and must comply with
Pathfinder Regional Vocational Technical High School’s policies and