[Hidden-tech] Help me rewrite an old Programming / Web Development Curriculum? CMS, Language, Frameworks

Noah Paessel knowuh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 09:45:18 EDT 2017

On Sep 10, 2017, 8:30 PM -0400, Bram Moreinis <bram at greenfielddigital.com>, wrote:
> I need to immediately re-do the old curriculum, however.  They were learning Dreamweaver DHTML (so some Javascript).  They learned no databases. They developed project websites with Adobe Muse (the Anti-Coder web tool). And they can't afford Dreamweaver when they leave school, so all of this was dead-end.

To clarify:  Is this one class, or a sequence of classes?  If a sequence, how many courses?

If it is only one class, you may too ambitious.

For a single class, I would choose *either* front-end or backend development.

My main thought: remove as much friction and ceremony as possible, and get them publishing things and having fun quickly.

Focusing on front end development might give the students the most bang for their buck.  The landscape of CSS / HTML / JS is overwhelming enough.  (You might not remember how confusing it was to get relative links to work for the first time).  I recommend finding a simple and disposable deployment strategy. Something like https://surge.sh/   Advanced students could move on to exploring javascript view frameworks, connecting to hosted database solutions like firebase, or using local file storage.

If your curriculum spans several courses, and you are committed to addressing the full stack then option 4 makes the most sense to me. Python has been heralded as a great introductory language, with many applications.

Cheers,

- Noah