[Hidden-tech] Text Manipulation Problem

Elijah Gwynn eli at egwynn.com
Sun Oct 22 18:20:15 EDT 2017

Quote-replying in-kind.

On 22 Oct 2017, at 18:08, Robert Heller wrote:

> You do know that an apostrophe is not really an apostrophe and a
> double quote
> mark is not really a double quote mark.  That is the ASCII apostrophe
> (') and
> ASCII double quote mark (") seem to be avoided like the plague.  Many
> "modern"
> programs (mailers, wordprocessors, etc.) want to use the alt
> characters off in
> the world beyond 0x7f...  I get that all of the time. :-)

In fact, "smart quotes" are built-in with many modern operating systems
(OS X/macOS, at least)! In any stock text input area on a Mac, you can
bring up the contextual menu and go into "Substitutions" and
enable/disable "Smart Quotes". Fortunately, as it bears on the subject
of avoiding encoding issues, the ASCII delimiters shouldn't be a problem
in anything encoded in UTF-8, since it's a strict superset of ASCII.

Eli