[Hidden-tech] Text Manipulation Problem

David Greenberg david.greenberg3 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 07:34:14 EDT 2017

I have a hard copy list of names, addresses and phone numbers. I can scan
to PDF and then copy and paste to a text editor (BBEdit) or other file. I
then need to manipulate the text so that I end up with a csv file that can
be opened by a spreadsheet program. Tools that I have at my disposal
include BBEdit (with Grep), a MAMP stack, NeoOffice (Mac version of
OpenOffice) and FileMaker.

Input looks like this:

John Doe
(413) 111-1111
123 First St Greenfield 01301
Jane Smith
456 So Main Ln Greenfield 01301
Jane Ann Smith
(413) 222-2222
78 Main Ct Greenfield 01301

Note that all addresses will include 'Greenfield 01301' and, *if *the data
includes a phone number, it will start with '(413)'.

Output should look like this:

John,Doe,(413) 111-1111,123 First St,Greenfield,01301
Jane,Smith,,456 So Main Ln,Greenfield,01301
Jane Ann,Smith,(413) 222-2222,78 Main Ct,Greenfield,01301

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

David