[Hidden-tech] HughesNet reviews

Jeannette Tibbetts jeannette at jtypeplus.com
Sun Oct 1 12:14:16 EDT 2017

Hi Greg:
I moved to New Salem 2 years ago and was concerned about working from home
using satellite. I always have had cable and didn't know life without it!

With Hughesnet, I've had relatively few issues...but I have learned a few
things (like, don't use Carbonite--that blew away my month's bandwidth in a
couple of hours--and definitely no Netflix streaming).

Weather has not caused an issue at all. Speed is fine. Whenever I've called
support, I've been happy after the call.

I pay about $60/mo for 10 GB; between 2 am-8 am, there's a free bandwidth
allotment, which I use for updates and large downloads; if I need extra
regular bandwidth, I can buy 10 more for $30 (rarely necessary...except when
I learned my Carbonite lesson!)

As a backup, I have a wifi hotspot through Boost Mobile (@ $50/mo) just in
case Hughesnet is having issues or I run low on bandwidth (though I've not
had to use it much).

Jeannette

Message: 1