[Hidden-tech] What Happened: Franklin Law Library Citizens Report

Lisa Hoag 1world4all at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 16:41:35 EST 2017

Hi To All :),
Thank you to those who signed our petition to protect our
Massachusetts County Law Libraries. I have spent most of this year
researching the destruction of the Massachusetts County Law Libraries,
and Franklin County in particular. Here is the report at Save Our Law
Libraries:
http://saveourlawlibraries.blogspot.com/2017/11/report-on-franklin-law-library-11-27-17.html
Direct link to pdf:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zSCwHx8-Bn5dAk6WGzMj_XyW_PnY4vhC/view

There is a pdf of the deaccessioning "weed list" from Franklin County
Law Library here:
https://saveourlawlibraries.wordpress.com/records-showing-the-law-books-from-the-franklin-law-library-which-were-shredded-incomplete/

I must also tell you that Hampshire Law Library, which is still
intact, is now at risk. The books have been shredded when a courthouse
is renovated, and the law library spaces are now being shrunk, and the
space taken for the court service centers.
• Hampshire County Courthouse gets state money for repairs
http://www.recorder.com/Northampton-courthouse-gets-renovation-money-12957212
• County courts slated for consolidation under 10-year state plan
http://www.gazettenet.com/Northampton-part-of-plans-to-restore-state-s-deterioriating-courts-9246819

Court service centers help people fill out the trial courts various
forms, but they do not provide a library, where citizens can educate
themselves about the laws, and do their own research about the laws,
and our Constitutional Rights. There are no longer any librarians in
charge of the law libraries. The former Law Library Coordinator for
the Massachusetts Trial Court Law Libraries, who retired in 2013, had
an MLS from Lesley University. The new law library coordinator is also
Senior Manager of Court Services, and came into the position through
her postition as a court service center manager. There is now no one
in charge of the history of our laws and legislation contained in
these collections that has any professional archival training, or
library science training.

Please forward this report to your friends. We are now working to
create a petition to protect Hampshire Law Library. If you would like
to help protect Hampshire Law Library. please email us at
saveourlawbooks at gmail.com.

Also, if you can make a couple phone calls, or emails that would be
great. We need folks to call Franklin Courthouse, and request that the
Franklin Law Library full originally promised space be restored ( the
original promised space was two full floors, enough to house the
30,000 vlume original collection - we do have a way to restore the
collection, but first the space must be restored). (Feel free to be
creative ad call/contact anyone you think might be good :)
Franklin Courthouse:
(413) 774-7011

Office of Court Management
Massachusetts Trial Court