[Hidden-tech] Question Regarding Consulting

Bruce Hooke bghooke at att.net
Mon Nov 20 10:43:03 EST 2017

To me it seems like a key question is once the contractors have been trained
who will be setting up the training sessions they will be running. Will
these contractors be going out and lining up their own clients, scheduling
the work themelves, and setting their own rates; or will the business be
lining up the clients, setting the rates and so on? If the latter, even in
part, it seems to me the arguement for these being independant contractors
gets a lot harder to make. If that's the path this business is trying to
follow I'd say it's time to bring in the lawyers since the business will be
skating close to the edge and needs to make sure they are doing everything
exactly right. If the former then it seems to me they should be on safer
ground, especially if the consultants also earn money doing other things
that are not at all connected to your client. That's one of the things that
addresses the carpenter situation addressed by Don. If you have a carpenter
who works full time working on your house and never does work for anyone
else then even if that carpenter is "not closely supervised" they are still
likely to be deemed an employee. On the other hand, even if you hover over
the carpenter while he rebuilds your bathroom, if next week he's off working
on someone else's kitchen and a month later he's building someone a garage
then he's pretty clearly a contractor.
Bruce

  _____