[Hidden-tech] need linux geek

Jeremy Dunn jeremy.j.dunn at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 12:22:03 EST 2017

Dear fellow H-T members,

The Vipassana Meditation Center (www.dhara.dhamma.org) is a small non-profit
in Shelburne.

We need help from a linux expert with Ubuntu and NIS / NFS experience.

I am a member of the all-volunteer technology committee.   The organization
has no IT staff.   We run a linux server and about a dozen linux desktops,
plus some linux laptops.

Our current setup: an old (ca 2006) Dell server running Ubuntu 10.04;
desktops are newer hardware running Mint.  The users authenticate via NIS to
the server, and their profiles (home directories) are mounted via NFS.   All
files are on the server; no user files are on the desktops or laptops.

Our goal:  we purchased a newer (used) Dell server in Feb 2016, and
initially installed Ubuntu 14.04.  We installed all the same packages as the
old server; and migrated all the configurations and data.  When we try to
login from the desktops, we have a variety of issues:  either cannot
authenticate, or cannot find home directories, or don't have write
permissions, etc.  Many long hours of troubleshooting, googling,
experimenting have yielded no good results.  Later last year we upgraded the
new server to Ubuntu 16.04, but the problems persist.

We understand that NIS is becoming increasingly uncommon, and investigated
switching to LDAP; but it seemed to be a huge amount of work.  If there are
other authentication protocols we could use, which are reasonable-easy to
convert to, we would be open to this.    Likewise, if we need to completely
rebuild our new server, that would be fine.  The steps (packages,
configurations, data, etc.) are fairly well-documented.

We're seeking someone with sufficient expertise and time to help us.  Given
that the work involves testing authentication and file access between
desktops and the server, it would likely need to be performed onsite in
Shelburne.

If you are experienced, interested, and available, please reply to me
privately (off-list) with some information about your skills and background,
rates, availability, and contact information.

Thanks much !

Jeremy