[Hidden-tech] alternatives to Quick Books?

James Triplett jm-hiddentech at vj8.net
Mon Mar 14 11:44:39 EDT 2016

On (07/03/16 11:09), Tom Knight wrote:
> Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 11:09:32 -0500
> From: Tom Knight <tom at tomknight.com>
> To: Hidden-Tech Tech <hidden-discuss at lists.hidden-tech.net>
> Subject: [Hidden-tech] alternatives to Quick Books?
>

> The discussion about Mac OS updates reminds me that I need to figure out a related question. I really need to update my OS, but if I do, I will need to get a newer version of QuickBooks for $200 (on sale).  I love QuickBooks, but I don't want to buy a new one every time I update my OS.
>
> Can anyone recommend an alternative to QuickBooks that I don't have to constantly update for a few hundred dollars every year or two? Ideally, I could import all my quickbooks info into the new app.

For the geeks among us, (both technical geeks and accounting geeks)- you might look at the free alternative: Gnucash. It's free, works on Linux, Windows, and Mac, and is a full double-entry bookkeeping system.  It doesn't have all the GUI automation that something like QB has, but so far in my playing with it, I haven't found anything it can't do.

I use it on Windows & Linux, with the actual company file stored in the (private) cloud, so I can access it from wherever I might be.

It has an active mailing list, with people willing to help you solve problems, and is actively developed.

cheers,
James