[Hidden-tech] Reliable, accurate, meaningful Internet speed test?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Oct 18 10:27:32 EDT 2015

At Sun, 18 Oct 2015 09:40:08 -0400 ussailis at shaysnet.com wrote:

> There are several hardware issues going on here.
>
> First NYC is a congested area, so the "speed" could easily be less. Your
> packets are going to a machine along with many others, takes time to
> separate all this, which can enter into the speed.
>
> Then there is the route your speed test packets traveled. Darpa-net was
> planned to be very robust in a nuclear war. Packets travel on whatever
> route is available at the time and where the net software places them. Your
> test to NYC, in theory, could have packets going to Europe and back, tho
> not likely. While those to Tx could have a more direct route.
>
> Finally there is a signal-to-noise issue than I run into with clients. You
> mentioned DSL. At my house, Verizon DSL is restricted to what can go over
> telephone lines. Verizon claims 3 Gbps, which I never see.

We are NOT using DSL -- we are over the MBI Middle Mile fiber.  I am only
using the *DSLReports.com* speed test.

And I think you mean 3MBits for DSL, not 3GBits!  3 Gbps is not possible over
copper phone lines.

> Now my wireless modem box claims 54 Gbps, which if it were one bit/Hz of
                                   54 MBits, I think you mean.
> bandwidth would not fit in the entire WiFi band. The FCC and other users
> might frown on this.

I am using a hardwired computer to a *dedicated* high-speed point-to-point
wireless link (across the town common) between the Library and the Police
Station. The connection to the MBI fiber is at the Police Station (there is a
reason for this that is neither here nor there). The reason we are NOT using
the Library's MBI connection is because MBI/Axia charges an arm and a leg for
*each* connection to their fiber, which the town cannot afford.

*I* have already done a test of the point-to-point wireless link and it is
more than fast enough, given our MBI connection speed.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933