[Hidden-tech] MS Access Questions

Allen Belkin albelkin at comcast.net
Fri Nov 20 13:44:50 EST 2015

Hi Adrienne,

My general recommendation is to not be in a rush to upgrade anything unless
there is good reason. This is especially true of recently-released versions.
I'm also going to try to stick with Windows 7 as long as I can - I don't
think any of my business clients have upgraded to Windows 8 or 10.

I'd also be careful about moving to the cloud. The main drawbacks are that
you are totally dependent on a good internet connection, and that you are
putting you data in the hands of a large, far-away corporation. Advantages
are off-site access to your data (if you need it, though there are other
ways of accomplishing that) and possible lower cost of hardware,
infrastructure and maintenance (though you'd want to look carefully at the
big picture regarding costs). I've been finding Office 365 in particular to
be real flaky - often it won't accept my login and then an hour later, it
does.

I believe Microsoft Office 2010 is no longer sold separately by Microsoft
but is available through third-parties or on some of the Microsoft
subscriptions. If you are taking the old computers out of service, or don't
need Office 2010 on them, you should be able to transfer the licenses.

I agree with Doug and Jeff - Microsoft Acccess databases are not considered
secure and an upgrade to SQL Server (or an open source client-server
database such as MySQL or PostGreSQL) is what you need to be
HIPAA-compliant. You'll be able to use the same front-end, but it will
require some tweaks.

Best regards,
Allen

Allen Belkin