[Hidden-tech] MS Access Questions

Adrienne LaPierre lapierre.adrienne at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 09:12:03 EST 2015

Hi,

I'm working with a small non-profit that is heavily reliant on a (split)
Access 2010 database.  They're now looking to upgrade a few of their older
computers but I'm confused about what the transition to newer versions of
MS Office (with lots of emphasis on web apps and cloud services) will mean
for the database.

For instance, this article (If you're looking at Office 365, and you use
Microsoft Access, look harder
<https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140625115126-4665957-if-you-re-looking-at-office-365-and-you-use-microsoft-access-look-harder>)
is
pretty old but it did raise some questions for me that I haven't been able
to resolve.

Mostly I'm wondering if Access 2016 will be able to open and use the
existing database without needing to migrate anything to cloud servers?
The database contains HIPAA-protected information...

Is it likely that the other users on the network who will still be using
Access 2010 after the transition will run into compatibility problems on
their end?  (i.e. should we upgrade everyone at once?)

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!
Adrienne