[Hidden-tech] Latest from Wired West

Rich Roth webmaster at hidden-tech.net
Tue Jan 20 17:35:31 EST 2015

*
My Turn**. Greenfield Recorder, Jan 20, 2015, p A4

At a crucial turning point**, WiredWest’s effort for Internet access*

*
By DAVID GREENBERG and OTHERS**
W*e’re sure that many of you have been following the efforts of the
commonwealth, the Franklin Region Council of Governments and our
legislators to convince private sector companies to significantly
upgrade Internet service to the underserved towns of rural Franklin
County. They’re not interested. Why? Too few customers to make a quick
profit on the investment.

Our towns, along with 29 others who are members of the WiredWest
cooperative, have stated their intention to seek voter authorization to
borrow money to build our own high-speed fiber-optic network together.
The purpose of this article is to explain why this is a pivotal moment
in our collective histories.

Internet access is the public utility of the 21st century. It is
critical infrastructure like telephone and electrical service, schools
and roads. Can you live without the Internet? Sure, but not if you want
to engage with the modern world.

Although our schools have fast Internet access, teachers are frustrated
because their students do not have the same capability at home. A new
method of teaching, known as the flipped classroom, requires students to
watch videos at home and to do interactive activities in class, but this
is unrealistic without fast broadband service in every home. Our
students are at a distinct disadvantage when compared to students in
urban environments.

Telemedicine technologies, which promise to make it easier for older
citizens to stay in their homes longer, is an up and coming online
technology that will not only bring down healthcare costs, but make life
more comfortablefor the aging population that is the future ofmany
Franklin County towns.

Even DSL cannot keep up with the demands of the growing Internet that is
providing easy access to free, online education, banking services and
shopping, video connections to anyone anywhere in the world, auto
registration, tax preparation, books, pictures, music, maps … Need an
old tractor manual? Online may be the only way you can get it.

The fiber optic network proposed for our towns comes at a price, but
this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. There is no faster
transmission technology than fiber. Once the fiber is in place, the
connected equipment can be upgraded for decades to come.

The beauty of this particular network is that ourtowns will own it
through WiredWest and we will decidehow we want to use it so that it
best serves our needs.Much of the money you pay now to Verizon or
Hugheswill stay in our communities, strengthening our localeconomy.

The commonwealth has agreed to contribute about40 percent of the cost of
this project and will designand build the network. We will be asking our
towns toauthorize borrowing money to finance the remainder.We will
borrow money only as we need it. By the timesignificant loan payments
are due, the network could begenerating enough revenue to offsetthose
payments. The more subscrib­ers, the more money there will be tomake
payments on the loans. Costsfor basic Internet service will be $49/month
for a 25 MBPS connection thatis about 450 times faster than dial-upand
10 times faster than DSL.It is a serious investment. Butwhat if we
decide not to do it? Whathappens to our communities asyounger people
leave town becauseof no jobs, and town centers contin­ue to atrophy? How
will those of uswithout broadband sell our homes?Tax rates will go up,
as there will befewer people to support the sameinfrastructure. The jobs
that are partof the 21st-century economy will belost to us because we
won’t have theinfrastructure to support them.Over the next several
months, res­idents of WiredWest towns will be

asked to do two things:

∎Put down a $49 deposit so that we can accurately gauge the number of
subscribers. This money will be credited to your first subscriber bill
when the network goes online.

∎Vote for passage of the spending authorization article at town meeting.
And convince your neighbors to do the same.

We will be holding information sessions to prepare for town meeting. If
enough towns approve the spending authorization, construction could
start as early as this summer. Borrowing money notwithstanding, we will
still come out ahead because the cost of Internet and associated
telephone service will go down more than taxes will go up. We hope you
will agree with us that our future is at stake and that this is an
opportunity too good to pass up.

David Greenberg, who is chairman of the Colrain Broadband Committee,
took the lead in writing this column.
Others contributing to it were Sheila Hourihan of Leyden,
Al Canali of Heath,
David Dvore of Rowe and
Bob Handsaker of Charlemont.