[Hidden-tech] Drive for Uber? Or ride with them?

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Wed Aug 19 00:24:03 EDT 2015

One thing to ask is "who is that megabuck insurance protecting?"

The driver, or those that run Uber? Or the Uber business?

A part that I see in all this happened back in the early 90s. A bunch of
defense contractors laid off many engineers, only to hire them back as
"outside contractors."

Often they had their same jobs, and same cubes.

The defense contractors, almost to a company, forgot to tell these folks
about who paid employment taxes. Most of you know about this, the full boat
on social security (FICA), Medicare, perhaps unemployment and the 940 form.

Did mention that the outside contractors were paid their regular employee
rate. Often nada for vacation time, holidays, health ins, liability
insurance, etc, etc.

As in no OH rate at all.

So Uncle Sugar rebelled about his lost tax share, essentially enforcing
defense contractors to hire only incorporated businesses.

That is, a private, sole-proprietor can now almost not get work as an
outside contractor from a defense contractor, or the Gov't. There are a few
exceptions for the retired "gurus."

Ever wonder why my company is National Wireless, INC. with one employee?
Think I like to give the State all its extra due?

I see the same thing occurring all over again with Uber. Something has to
happen, like a serious accident, or Uncle Sugar with lost revenue. I am
surprised NYC hasn't got into this action. Uber must be hurting their taxi
medallion business.

Jim Ussailis
National Wireless, Inc.

Original email: