[Hidden-tech] Drive for Uber? Or ride with them?

Marcia Yudkin yudkinyudkin at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 11:10:04 EDT 2015

>>I really don't think UBER hasn't thought this whole insurance thing out...it would be very surprising for a company valued at $53 billion to not know the work-around for car insurance for their drivers. I think your agent is just scaring you.<<
For sure they have thought it out!  Their strategy is to skirt the law as long as they can get away with it, as well as to encourage their drivers to skirt the law, by claiming laws and regulations do not apply to them.
AirBnB has done much the same thing.  For example, they are only now creating a way for hosts to charge sales tax in jurisdictions where sales tax is required for all vacation rentals.  Their policy helped tens of thousands of homeowners who do not pay the required taxes to compete unfairly with those who do, because the latter had to inflate their room rates to cover taxes while the former did not.  There isn't anything you buy in the US where sales tax isn't charged as a separate line item rather than rolled into the price, if it applies.  AirBnb knew that very well and decided to side with those who want to flout the law.  By contrast, VRBO, TripAdvisor/Flipkey and similar sites have always given hosts a way to break out sales tax apart from the room rate.

In the Uber example, the agent has a duty to tell the client what activities are definitely or probably not covered by certain insurance.  I call that prudence and honesty, not "scaring" the client.  If they say something is covered when it isn't, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.  Anyone who drives a car for pay where they don't have written assurance that this is covered by their insurance risks losing everything they own in case of a serious accident.  Deborah is therefore perfectly right to be careful, in my opinion.
Marcia Yudkin
www.yudkin.comGoshen