[Hidden-tech] Lenovo does it again!

Jan Werner jwerner at jwdp.com
Fri Aug 14 19:19:47 EDT 2015

I used Lenovo computers almost exclusively for years, but after the
Superfish fiasco early this year, I swore off ever using them again.

And now, here's news that they have gone even further, by adding a
feature to the BIOS of some of their computers that injects crapware
even if you wipe the disk and do a clean installation of Windows.

This introduces a critical vulnerability that cannot be removed by any
normal procedures, including a full system re-installation, so anyone
who has purchased a Lenovo Windows computer in the past year definitely
needs to find out if they are affected and if so, apply the fix ASAP.

This hasn't received the publicity that Superfish got, although it is
far more insidious.

Ars Technica provides a fairly technical explanation and also links to
pages on Lenovo's site where you can find out if your system is affected
and in some cases download a fix.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/lenovo-used-windows-anti-theft-feature-to-install-persistent-crapware/

or:  http://tinyurl.com/qcaff6t

There is just no way to trust a company that can do this kind of thing.

Jan  Werner