[Hidden-tech] CPU & RAM upgrade for PC?

Jeff Brand jeff at deltafactory.com
Thu Sep 11 14:24:01 EDT 2014

Andrew,

"It depends" - of course, but it's a worthwhile exercise.

I'd start by figuring out which motherboard you have. You're looking for
socket type and RAM type, but knowing the manufacturer and model will
help. If you already have the fastest CPU that it supports, then by the
time you invest in a new motherboard to support a new CPU and required
RAM, you might need a bigger power supply and you've effectively just
built a new computer.

RAM is one of the easier upgrades, also dependent on the motherboard.

If it's a single core CPU then you may find that A) you're at the max
CPU, and B) parts are hard to find and therefore more expensive than
they should be. At that point I'd consider a replacement. You can still
go the DIY route and assemble your own, though.