[Hidden-tech] Registering an app

John Snyder John at AdvanceTheStory.com
Thu Sep 4 12:09:32 EDT 2014

I'm ostensibly doing a favor for an editorial client who has developed his IP as a mobile app. He's asking me to help him secure copyright and trademark protection for this product. I've explained that I'm not a lawyer and would prefer he seek competent legal advice in this matter, but he's sticking with me :P

Copyright seems straightforward. I gather his app already enjoys copyright protection by virtue of it being tangible, but he wants the extra coverage of a copyright application. That's fine. A fee of $35 or so seems to cover it. (is this the case?)

Trademarking his logo and app name confuses me. The fee schedule makes my eyes glaze over. I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

— What fee code(s) are we applying for? It's his first time filing, it's an app on health and fitness, and he wants international protection: http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/qs/ope/fee010114.htm#tm.

— What form would the supporting "deposit" need to take? Does the USTPO need a copy of the app or would textfiles of source code do? I was thrown by mention of the source code because I don't believe we're trying to trademark the code, only the logo and name.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

John Snyder
Advance The Story
Tel. 413-325-6348
Be yourself, be your best, then put it in writing
www.AdvanceTheStory.com