[Hidden-tech] Verizon router settings

Marcia Yudkin yudkinyudkin at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 31 19:52:54 EDT 2014

Is there anyone in Hidden Tech who uses Verizon DSL with a Westell 7500 modem and has managed to change the router settings to allow SSL email to ports 465, 993 or 995 for a non-Verizon email server that is now requiring SSL connections?
This is a nightmare - I have literally spent all day on this with Verizon and with Pair.com, who I get my email from on a Verizon network.  In a few days I will be able to retrieve my email only with SSL configurations.

Pair says Verizon is blocking ports 465, 993 and 995.  When I go into the Verizon firewall settings, if I eliminate the firewall security or minimize it, I can get to those ports, but that is obviously not an acceptable solution.  I'm told there is something called "port forwarding" that can help, but Verizon says they can give me the port forwarding settings only if I sign up for their "premium support" at $14.99 for 10 months.  My husband says that if we sign up for the premium support, there's no guarantee they have the solution for us, and we would still be obligated to pay the $150.
Our modem is kind of old (5-6 years) but they say we're not eligible for a new modem, and again that might not solve the problem.
Any ideas?

Thanks,Marcia Yudkin