[Hidden-tech] Volunteer needed to move WordPress site

Anne Campbell info at annecampbelldesign.com
Fri Oct 31 09:24:47 EDT 2014

Tess Gadwa wrote:

> I couldn't agree more with what Paul said.  WordPress.com hosting performs
> well technically, but support is nonexistent.

I'm showing my ignorance here: I was told that there's a plan at
WordPress.com that costs $28 per year for a basic level of service. As I
look at it now, it seems that the choices are a free plan, $99 per year, or
$299 per year. This nonprofit was hoping to save some money on hosting if
possible, but wasn't planning to go with the free plan. It sounds like the
$99 plan might be the best bet.

> Also, I am a little disturbed by the trend amongst nonprofits and artists
> to expect "volunteer" websites. Do they also receive volunteer legal and
> accounting services?

Sometimes, yes! Many lawyers do pro bono work on occasion. I sometimes
volunteer my doula services for families who are in a tough situation; and
I put in quite a bit of time maintaining a different nonprofit website as a
volunteer. I would also be happy to host this particular site for free,
because I'm involved with the nonprofit.

If this site were in Joomla, I would have been happy to volunteer the 15-30
minutes that it would take to move it to a new host. I just don't have a
clue how to do it in WordPress, so that's why I thought it would be worth
asking for help from someone who could do it quickly and easily.

Please forgive my lack of clarity on the options at WordPress.com - as I
said, I'm a Joomla person through and through, and WP is all Greek to me.
I'd be happy to hear any suggestions for how we could save a little money
but still have a decent, reliable host.

Thanks again -
Anne

Anne Campbell, info at annecampbelldesign.com