[Hidden-tech] Home exterminators

Bruce Hooke bghooke at att.net
Fri Nov 7 16:42:58 EST 2014

In my experience, the only solution that really, completely, works is to do
the hard work of sealing up the house so there are not entry points for
mice. This is possible in a newer home. In an older home, with, say, a laid
stone foundation, it can be hard or impossible. But, unless it's a
completely hopeless situation it's still worth doing a careful survey to see
if you can identify where the mice are gaining access. They can fit through
a surprisingly small space and they can climb pretty much anything made of
wood, stone or masonry. The good news is that work done to seal up mouse
entry points should also help with your heating bill.

The other step to take is to do your best to make sure there's nothing for
them to eat. All food should be sealed in glass or plastic containers or in
cabinets that are mouse-proof. Wipe the counters, stove and sink carefully
every night and sweep the kitchen and eating area floors every night. This
will at least discourage the mice from going where they are most
problematic.

When it comes to setting traps, try to figure out their travel routes and
then put the traps right there. I've found peanuts to be good mouse bate.
They've got a pretty strong smell and they last better than, say, cheese.
Peanut butter is also a good option.

Good luck!
Bruce

  _____