[Hidden-tech] Greenfield Linux Users Group to meet at the People's Pint, Wed 6/18, 5:30-7:30pm

Bram Moreinis bram at gamefacewebdesign.com
Tue Jun 3 21:29:31 EDT 2014

Hi, Hidden-Tech (with CC: to Vermont Area Group of Unix Enthusiasts).

If you plan to attend GLUG nite,  please RSVP to
glugma at googlegroups.com.   For our first meeting, Dan suggested that
everyone bring something to share )e.g. why you use Linux Desktop) or
show (e.g. a laptop with a Linux distribution).
(http://www.thepeoplespint.com <http://www.thepeoplespint.com>)

*NOTES FROM OUR HANGOUT*

Tonight's hangout devolved to Free Conference Call due to audio issues
(probably arising from bad connectivity).  But everyone made the
transition: Dan Paquin, Tim Boudreau, Robert Heller and I discussed
distributions, issues for maintaining legacy machines, and the various
projects we were involved in (running community libraries, public
television stations, etc.).

What I learned (subject to revision) was that if the donated machines
for http://techscoutsma.org don't have the memory for Linux Mint
Cinnamon, a good fallback would be Xubuntu.  General rule of thumb:  1gb
of RAM is fine for these.  If I want to get old memory, eBay is the best
source.

If that is still too resource intensive, DSL is very lightweight (but
very ugly).  Gentoo is very powerful because it is customized for the
particular machine and takes advantage of CPU instructions, but must be
compiled over many hours and is not for the faint of heart.

My task is to use Virtual Box to mount ISOs of the various
distributions, both to test their resource use with Firefox or
LibreOffice, and for supporting Tech Scouts.    One fun task we can
expect have is replacing the CMOS batteries in the donated laptops.

-Bram

--
GF Logo

Bram Moreinis, Principal