[Hidden-tech] Wanted: website assistance for small-business client

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Jul 8 09:13:46 EDT 2014

At Tue, 8 Jul 2014 08:50:08 -0400 Richard Danek <rcdanek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why a CMS system?
>
> If you are planning on implementing a blog-like experience (where there are
> many updates and, over time, you can give people the option to search and
> display posts in meaningful ways, the CMS is wonderful.
>
> If you simply want to take over control of your site (because someone else
> is doing this for you and it's no longer convenient having them do it, then
> something like a WYSIWG editor may be far easier. (The free SeaMonkey is my
> favorite for this kind of thing.)

One major issue with WYSIWG HTML editors is that HTML *by defination* is NOT
WYSIWG.  Often what happens is that a a page looks great in your WYSIWG editor
and maybe the corresponding web browser, but then looks horrible (or at least
different) with a different web browser.  While there are ways to deal with
this with static HTML/CSS, it generally is not easy.  Most modern CMS systems
(like WordPress) have been engineered to deal with these issues.  With the
wide number of web browsing devices in use, from desktops, to laptops, to
notebooks/netbooks, to tablets, to smartphones, in can be hard to cover all
bases well.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933