[Hidden-tech] Cable/telephone question

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jan 30 18:43:33 EST 2014

At Thu, 30 Jan 2014 16:59:00 -0500 Harry Flood <hjflood at mediaspectrum.net> wrote:

>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> Hi all,
>
> We are in the process of moving our office from Belchertown to Amherst. We
> have had our Belchertown phone (323-xxxx) for a number of years through
> Charter. We will have the new service with Comcast.
>
> Comcast is telling us they cannot retain our present phone number. Is this
> true? They did say we could retain some level of service with Charter and
> forward calls, which seems like a kluge-y option at best. I thought there
> was easy portability of phone numbers.

It is easy to port a phone number between *providers* at a given service
location (eg changing your phone service in Amherst from Verizon to Comcast),
or keeping a phone number when you move within the same 'town' (eg moving
'down the street' and keeping your number at the new location). Once you cross
certain 'boundries' (esp. LATA or Area Code ones, but maybe CO boundries as
well) things become iffy.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com